Installing a single oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved to a flat where there is a disgusting oven. I discovered that this is plugged into a 13amp socket and took a lot of trouble asking around before buying a new oven. I was assured by electricians and retailers that as long as the new oven was 3 kw or under it was acceptable to plug the new oven into the existing 13 amp socket. I purchased a new oven intending to remove the old one and just plug in the new one and bingo a nice new oven. However, on unpacking the oven (an AEG) I discovered that the instruction booklet stated a 15 amp minimum fuse and they supplied no cable and plug. I am just a helpless female who thought she had researched her subject in full. What is a girl to do?

Sponsored Links
What does it say the power rating of the oven is? This will usually be in watts or Kilo watts.

As long as the number of watts is less than 3000 or 3k watts then there won't be a problem with fitting your own 13amp plug top with some 1.5mm three core heat resistant flex (that you can buy from B&Q or similar) and plugging into your existing socket.

Current draw ie the number of amps is worked out by the equation:

A = w / v

so if its 3000 and your supply is 240 volts (as it is in the UK) - yeah everyone I know it varies quite considerably), then the oven will draw:

3000w / 240v = 12.5 amps - which is fine for a 13a plug top with 13a fuse.

If it's more than 3kW, you will need to either:

1 - Get an electrician to put a dedicated oven supply from your consumer unit

2 - Take the oven back and get one that 3kW or less.

Hope you find it's 3kW or less!

The information strip on the inside of the oven states 3,000 watts and the old oven 2,100. I bought the oven because I knew it was 3,000 watts and was told this was fine. So why do AEG say it needs a 15 amp fuse?

AEG are a European company selling stuff worldwide. I believe the standard rating for many appliances such as this are 15A in the rest of Europe. The UK has the best regulations regarding electricity, arguably in the world.

Have you ever seen the state of some of the electrics in say France or Spain? Horrors!

Anyway, 1.5mm flex and a plug top and you'll be fine. Can you send me a sample of the first yummy dinner you cook through the post!?!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Stephen for your help. Why do things have to be so difficult? You do your research and then have problems! I will be out like a shot to get the flex.

1974stephen said:
so if its 3000 and your supply is 240 volts

230 V in the UK actually.

so, 3000/230 = 13.04 A. This most likely won't blow a plug top fuse, but the plug & fuse will run hot.

I would not really recommend running it from a plug - although it will technically work.

If either the plug, or the fuse, or the socket run "hot" then they are faulty.

An extra 43mA is not going to cause problems.

So folks, thanks for all your input. Would you say that the best thing to do is replace the current switched socket for a fused socket and hard wire it with 1.5mm three core heat resistant flex? I think I should be able to manage that?!

You'll get a better contact quality that way, with the flex permanently screwed in rather than the current going the prongs of a plug.

Use a switched FCU so that you can turn the oven off if you need to..

Following all you advised last week I was all ready to go out and buy the cable you specified and had one last look at the installation notes in the AEG manual. This has totally confused me because it states connection via Cooker Control Circuit - Min size cable/flex 2.5 mm2 - Minimum fuse 15a maximum 20A. It also states " It is necesssary that you install a double pole switch between the oven and the electricity supply (mains), with a minimum gap of 3mm between the switch contacts and of a type suitable for the required load in compliance with the current regulations. The switch must not break the yellow and green earth cable at any point".

This is a 3 kw oven and I can plug in a 3 kw electric fire with a 13 amp plug. so what's the difference?

there isn't really any diference.

Do what BAN said and install a 13a FCU, that will satisfy the minimum gap of 3mm bit, and use 2.5mm cable if you wish, but it's over-kill really. 1.5mm will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back