DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Loop lighting problems!!

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
lima449

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this site and am in need of some help!! I installed 2 new celing lights in the upstairs of my house today and when i turned the first one on it worked fine. The second one didn't work at all and when i flicked the switch it knocked all the other upstairs lights off. The wall switch then wouldn't flick on and off properly and seemed damaged. The MCB in the circuit breaker hadn't tripped also. I think i mixed up the live switch wire and one of the 3 neutral wires from the ceiling rose on the 2nd light connecting a neutral to the switch and the live switch wire to the other neutrals. I have the light disconnected now, but when i've replaced the MCB the other lights upstairs are still not working!! Do all lights in a loop system need to be connected for the upstairs lights to work??? Also, will i need a new wall switch etc for the 2nd light? Please help.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Gary0

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Lighting isn't normally connected in a loop so I'm a little put out by that. Also one doesn't normally have 3 neutrals and a live at the ceiling rose.

Have a look at the diagrams in the sticky thread at the top. If the upstairs lights are not working then you have a break in the mains supply circuit somewhere. Need to track it down.

I think what I'd do is to try connecting the light nearest the CU only first, see if I could get that working. If that's succesful, then move on to the next in line.
 Alert Moderators
BJS_Spark

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Gary0 wrote:
Lighting isn't normally connected in a loop

Lighting is normally connected in a loop and is called 'Loop in' wiring. It is not a ring as it starts at the CU and ends at the last light in the circuit.
 Alert Moderators
slippyr4

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote

lima449 wrote:
The second one didn't work at all and when i flicked the switch it knocked all the other upstairs lights off.

oops.

Quote:
The wall switch then wouldn't flick on and off properly and seemed damaged.

in what way did it seem damaged? smoke & flames?

Quote:
The MCB in the circuit breaker hadn't tripped also.

what rating is it

Quote:
I think i mixed up the live switch wire and one of the 3 neutral wires from the ceiling rose on the 2nd light connecting a neutral to the switch and the live switch wire to the other neutrals.

There are not 3 neutrals (ignoring for a moment the drop leads to the bulb holder). There maybe 3 black wires- two of these are neutral and one is part of the switch cable. If you connected that to neutral, and the red from the switch cable to live, then you had a dead short when you turned the switch on.

Quote:
I have the light disconnected now, but when i've replaced the MCB the other lights upstairs are still not working!!

Maybe you've melted/destroyed something.

Quote:
Do all lights in a loop system need to be connected for the upstairs lights to work???

Not all, no. The loop-in system is actually quite like a radial- where the feed comes in and out of each light fitting before going on to the next. If you've disconnected *everything* in the rose in question, then only lights *before* that in the loop will work. Which could be none, if it's the first light on the loop/.

Quote:
Also, will i need a new wall switch etc for the 2nd light? Please help.

You're going to need to inspect and test each componant of the installation. For this you will need, at the very least, a multimeter.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: