how to repair cut TV ariel cable??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
moved into my new house, and noticed when i connected the TV to the ariel there was no picture, i thought what the hell i have sky i can watch the channels through that,
however when i was in the loft i noticed the ariel cable had been cut in half by the pervious owner,
my question is what is the easiest way to repair this?
i have tried to connect the two sections of wire with the connectors you noramlly get with a ariel cable kit, but this has not helped.

Sponsored Links
Use a male and female coax plug to do the joint (or two males with an adapter.)

i have tried to connect the two sections of wire with the connectors you noramlly get with a ariel cable kit, but this has not helped.
Not helped ? in what way ? no change ? Are you sure this cut wire is feeding your socket and there is an ariel on the other end of it ?
Have you made good connections on your repair i.e. the coaxial sheaths are connected together, the signal wires are connected and not touching the sheathing ?

as far as i know all connections are fine,
i do get a picture but it is bad

Sponsored Links
maybe the signal wasn't that good to start with? or the aerial isn't positioned correctly?

You will get some signal loss with every cut and connect. It's possible the previous user had something connected in there - a bigger aerial, or an amplifier. Can you see the aerial at the end of the second piece of co-ax, and does it look modern, and quite big? You may need to tinker with its direction. Are you in a big town, a rural area, or near hills?

It may be the cable was cut to add a booster into the line due to poor signal, previous owners tend to forget about them until moving day and chop them out instead of unwiring in the rush to get out... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back