A bit perplexed !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my sister in law has a honeywell y system with a programmer situated in the hall it is a cm51 the bungalow is about 16 yrs old, she has just been on holiday and asked me to turn on her boiler for her ( she said the switch on the boiler ) that is a glowworm fan assisted open vented boiler around the same age of the house, but before turning on the boiler i checked to see if the pump was running, it was and had been all the time she had been on holiday (albeit circulating cold water ) my question is this well i have two

1. does the honeywell cm51 have a provision to control the hot water timed etc or does it just control the room temp like a room stat with programmable features for the central heating side

2. she stated to me that she turned the boiler off because the small radiator in her hall got hot when just hot water was called for

this makes not sense to me, surely the pipe configeration of the y plan system is that when room stat calls for heat the rads get hot

and when satisifield they will go cold

why should just that rad get hot when it is for the domestic hot water side

:oops:

Sponsored Links
There is clearly a fault on the installation of the system.

Your relative should call a heating engineer when she returns to correct it.

Always amazes me that some people know about faults but don't bother to get them fixed!

Tony

Could the rad that gets hot be the heat dump rad, i thought that in some systems the bathroom rad was favorite for this function and why these rads didnt have thermostatic valves on them and that the rads were to left open all the time.

Sponsored Links
why should just that rad get hot when it is for the domestic hot water side

Often a bathroom radiator or towel rail was connected to the circuit that heated a domestic hot water cylinder. The aim was to dry towels and provide some heat in the bathroom when the central heating was off.

Maybe the hall was formerly a bathroom or someone has connected it to the wrong pipes. Your sister needs to trace the pipes to determine where the fault is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back