How old is my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved in this house.

Its a Myson Apollo boiler. How old do you think it is? i.e. when did this make + model stop being used in England.

Reason, I would like to buy boiler cover and most insurance companies don\\\'t provide cover if its more than 15 years old.

Sponsored Links
Lots of different models of Apollo, some manufactured as recently as 1998. Look at www.boilers.org.uk for a database, or check with Baxi who took over Myson.

Many older boilers are very reliable with few parts to go wrong, so it might not be wise to pay insurance premiums. Better to self-insure - i.e. pay the premiums to yourself and if the boiler needs repair, pay for it yourself, and keep the profit.

Lots of people like the reassurance of the whole heating system covered on a guaranteed repair though. I mean the boilers are fairly reliable, but pumps, valves, fans etc aren't. You could try BG, providing the system is in good nick they will take on an apollo.

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
if she was paying an independent per visit
No problem if the independent fixed it in one or two visits, and not six (or whatever it was - I lost count) over 2 weeks with BG!

chrishutt said:
ollski said:
if she was paying an independent per visit
No problem if the independent fixed it in one or two visits, and not six (or whatever it was - I lost count) over 2 weeks with BG!

Thats exactly what I'm saying chris, it wouldn't have been a problem if BG fixed it in one or two visits either, but they didn't and theres no reason to think anyone else would have either, but the difference is BG Have to see the job through and can't walk away from it....thats the reassurance some folks like to pay for.

ollski said:
theres no reason to think anyone else would have either
Agile would have. He identified the PCB as likely fault straight off. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back