removing wallpaper paste b4 painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm painting a wall with emulsion after removing wallpaper and it is proving an absolute pig to remove all the paste that appears through when the wall is wet. I'm using sugar soap and hot water, then cold water and a sponge. The walls were previously painted. Prior to re-painting, should I seal the walls just in case there is any paste residue to avoid paint not adhering or cracking?

Tks

Sponsored Links
You really should remove all the paste....sealing the wall may work, but if it doesnt..your in trouble.

Use hot water, detergent and a wide bladed stripping knife....dragging itdown the wall at a 90 degree angle to it.

The original post describes the problem I'm having. What detergent should be used?

Thanks in advance.

I've always used sugar soap solution, made with hot water and a scraper as previously suggested, takes time but gives the best result. Once removed, give the walls a final wash with clean solution and a sponge. Allow to dry thoroughly before painting.

Sponsored Links
Ordinary household detergent will do..and one of those green scotchbrite pads.

As mentioned...rinse well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back