Installing new hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are switching from gas to electric and I need advice on installation of a new hob. I have an existing cooker control unit. The hob has a max power of 7.2kW. Can I use the existing ccu and wire the hob from this or will I have to put a new line in from the board? The manual says to use 4mm cable but this doesn\\\'t sound right to me. Also, as the hob will be 2m away from the box, should I put in a switch box by the hob?
All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
In the past, I have used 6mm or even 10mm depending upon the manuafacturers suggestion. Just surprised but more than willing to defer to greater experience!
Thanks

that hob draws 31amps, i would use 6mm² cable, to be safe. Use a 32A MCB in the consumer unit. The control box should be located closer to the hob (within 2m in the regs i think)

OOI, why are you changing from gas to electric? IMO, gas hobs are so much more controllable (instant heat, instant cooling when your peas are boiling over etc) and IIRC, they are more efficient (gas doesn't loose power as it is transported, electricity does)

How are you powering the oven?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that crafty. Very useful.

She who must be obeyed has changed her mind about gas as the hobs spoil the sleek lines of her new kitchen. I was sympathetic until she decided she wanted me to do the work! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back