Bricklaying Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Myself and the hubbie have been busy converting our garage and are doing the bricklaying ourselves as we were told its not a load bearing wall so doesnt mater how much of a dogs dinner we make of it! We seem to be doing okay but have a question about the sides of where the window should go in. We are going to just build block on top of block with no pattern as its only around 7 or 8 inches between the wall and new window space. Is it ok to do this or is it a mortal sin to build blocks with no pattern, no matter how small?

Sponsored Links
A bit confused here, are you the laying blocks with cement joint as one of the picture?
bonds.gif

Sponsored Links
think they mean that the distance between the window and wall is less than 1 block long i.e. less than 450mm so they are building the pillar in cut blocks built directly on top of each other until they reach the lintel. What they are asking is if the first block was for example 200mm long would they put two 100mm cuts on top for the next course then another 200mm block for the 3rd course etc. up to the height of the window, instead of building the whole pillar in 200mm blocks.

it will be fine just tie it into the existing wall with some fishtail ties.

Hey guys thats great, Mark is using metal banding on the walls to tie the blocks to it as they go up. Hopefully it will be very solid. We are also putting cavity ties every 3 or so courses. I bet a twister couldnt move it! :LOL:
Another little problem has arisen though, as they do!!, better start a new thread! Thanks again for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back