Cracked brickwork repair, Helifix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've been asked to repair a garage thats had some movement over the years. I thought some s/steel bars and resin would be the way but havent used it before. Has anyone anyone any advise on a) if its the answer and if so where to buy etc. Screwfix do 3 litres of resin and 10 x 1m bars for about £105. The lady would like it rendered but im thinking a re-point may be best in case it moves in the future. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have bought various bits from Twistfix before including the bars and resin, the kit makes it very easy and the instructions are clear.

I'd rather repoint myself but depends on the look that your customer is after really..

Ta for that. I just looked at their website. I take it you just need the bars and grout? Didnt know you use 2 bars per joint but it makes sense.

Yep, just bars and grout required (plus mortar for pointing it up afterwards).

The kits they sell are OK and include a pointing tool and a grout gun for applying the resin.

Sponsored Links
The answer is to deal with the cause of the movement, and not the end result. Bars won't prevent cracking if the wall is still moving, and you may well get called back if they don't work

Well I gave the customer 3 quotes the cheapest was just a repoint then a repoint with repair rods and the last was rods plus rendering. She went for the render.
As for further movement she thinks its probably a tree of hers and she doesnt want to dig it up so seems happy to take the chance.
In case anyones interested I found a twistfix kit on amazon for £120. Includes 10 bars and the gun and grout. I phoned Jewson and a helifix kit with the same quantities came to £320. Screwfix do it for about £150. Robbing ba$t@rds eh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back