first overflowing expansion tank, now loud clanging/clicking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any thoughts much appreciated. thanks very very much for reading my story

Boiler cupboard in the corner of the flat lounge has once in a while made very loud bursts of groaning/howling/deep vibrating noise . I thought it was a blowing over bottle effect of the wind on the vent outside, but not so sure now..

next symptom, I noticed the other day, the expansion tank over flow pipe, dripping, slowly but consistently into the garden. Checked in the attic, and discovered the ballcock side of things was not the problem, The culprit was a hot water pipe dropping a constant flow into the top, like a tap left on.

ok, so I call the plumber friend who says find the radiator in the flat with a drainage outlet at the bottom (he said there should be only one like this - but ive since notice the one in the bedroom also has one...) and to drain a few pints, so i did that, drained a load of nasty black/brown water.

It seems that stopped the problem with the hot water flowing into the expansion tank, but now a bigger problem.......!:

When the boiler tries to fire up, a lound CLICKING/CLANGING like metal on metal comes out the box. quite frightening really. The light to show the flame is on comes on, it clangs loudly for a few seconds but then shuts down.

Ive noticed the radiators around the flat, either cold or luke warm, the pipes going into the right of them are cold, but the pipes coming out the left of them are hot.

Any help very gratefully recieved.

Ben

Sponsored Links
You dont say much about your systems controls and boiler details but heres a scenario for you to consider.
Sludge in your system has affected the work of the pump causing the bearings to wear out and result in the groaning noises
your system is so sludged up that its easier for it to pump over than round the system [Also theres an inherited design fault there but thats another story *see 3*]
Pump has finally died RIP and now your boiler heats up and kettles because the water isnt moving through it any more.

How to tackle it
1 Fit a new pump
2 Flush system and add inhibitor
3 If pumping over persists then install a de-aerator.

thanks for the help. I played with the pump this morning, bled it and turned it manually a few times' Fired up the system and it seems to work again. yipee. thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it was the pump not turning, it may fail to start again. Start looking up the price of a replacement pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back