best location for radiator jesi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
my radiators in 3 bedrooms go very hot but the room is alwalys cold????

where is the best place to fit a radiator in bedroom ????

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Under the windows, unless you have floor to ceiling curtains. Otherwise cold air from the windows falls to the floor, comes across it to the rad, freezing your feet on the way.

Odd that, we ought to say ceiling to floor but we don't :confused: .

hi

under the windows

but the only thing is that i have about from floor to window i have only 19 inch space
how much far are you suppose to locate radiator under window sill and i think from floor is about 100mm high

if i put a 420mm by 1200 mm radiator it will be approx 80 to 90 mm from the floor and about 1 inch belw the window sill

pls let me know

because wickes have a sale on

thankd :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have recently had a new central heating system installed - the rads were originally under the windows but my plumber told me that they shld be located on the walls opposite the windows so that the heat from the radiator warms the room b4 hitting the coldest place in the room - ie the area near the window. It made sense to me at the time so that's what I agreed to. Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Your plumber was wrong....or just devious, because he saved himself a fair bit of work (and made more profit) by keeping the pipe runs shorter. You'll have to put more heat into the room to achieve comfortable conditions, increasing your fuel bill.

What about with Double Glazed windows that don't let any airflow in? Wouldn't they be then the same as a brick wall as far as thermal properties go?

Yes, the U value for double glazed windows can be similar to uninsulated solid walls, but is still many times higher than cavity walls with good insulation. As a general rule, the window, even when double glazed, will be the coldest surface in any room.

The other reason for putting rads under windows is to avoid taking up useful wall space elsewhere. In most cases furniture cannot be placed below windows, certainly not bookcases, wardrobes and the like.

However, as ChrisR said, there is a problem in relation to curtains which may cover the rad or encourage warm air into the gap between curtain and window. A shelf above the radiator would help deflect warm air out into the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back