Wooden stave kitchen worktop joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting oak block worktops in my kitchen, they currently have square cut edges. Do I need to buy/hire a jig and make a butt and scribe (is that right) joint for the corners, or should I make a straight joint and then round the edge with the router? Any advice welcome!
P.S. The worktops are 640 mm - I've not found a router jig that has 640 mm as an option, can a 650 mm jig be used?

Sponsored Links
The only reason you need to cut the masons mitre is because of the preformed radius edge, so in your case just a butt joint will be fine.

Jason

Jason, thanks for the answer, but...
I do want to round the edges at some point. Having given it some more thought, I have worked out that either I round the edges first, and then cut a mason mitre, or I make a straight butt joint and round the edges afterwards, but the latter way will leave an odd looking internal corner, since the router obviously won't go all the way into the corner.
I'd still like some advice on cutting in-between sizes with a worktop router jig.

the molding will be continuous with a router the only difference is the corner will be at the same radius as the cutter instead off right angles some people prefer a curve at the inner corners
also a butt joint much easier to do than a masons mitre without loads off practice
and providing its a smallish radius you can do it with a small router rather than with a half inch router

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I was having trouble vizualising it, but I understand now. I'll go for a straight butt and router the edges afterwards. I have a 1/2 inch router, BTW.

Personally I think the best way is to butt joint the worktops, then stop the moulding about 2" away from the internal corners. I have done this in my own kitchen recently and it looks nice, and a bit more individual than running the moulding right up to the joint. If you don't like it you could always go right into the corners anyway.

petewood said:
Personally I think the best way is to butt joint the worktops, then stop the moulding about 2" away from the internal corners. I have done this in my own kitchen recently and it looks nice, and a bit more individual than running the moulding right up to the joint. If you don't like it you could always go right into the corners anyway.
OK, thanks for the suggestion.

No probs, but to look right you should also stop the moulding before the worktop meets a wall or kitchen unit etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back