boiler regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

our old combi boiler has died, and we need to get a new one fitted asap, but I'm a little confused by new regulations.

I understand that we now need to get a condensing combi boiler which is fine, but I am confused about beuilding controls etc. Do I need to do anything to prove that it meets regulations? I've read somwhere about the installer self certifying, but I've spoken to a couple of gas engineers and they don't seem to know anything about it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you intend getting a Corgi registered company or individual to do the installation, you shouldn't have to worry about the regs.

If the corgi reg installer is any good they will know what the regulations require and will be able to explain it to you. If they can't, probably best to look elsewhere for an installer. Basically, they should take care of all Building Regulation aspects.

If you are proposing to carry out the installation yourself, or have it done by someone who is not Corgi registered, that is another matter. But I will assume that's not the case unless you say otherwise.

At the moment I'm not sure. Is it possible to get it done by someone not Corgi registered? I don't want to do anything dodgy, but do know a few very competent plumbers that may or may not be able to do the job cheaper for me, but more important is that I trust them. Is it possible that they can do install and then have it certified/checked by someone registered?

If I do get a corgi registered fitter, then I can assume they will take care of any registration/documentation that is needed?

Thanks so much for your help on this. Just trying to get as much info as poss tonight before I start calling around tomorow morning.

Is it possible that they can do install and then have it certified/checked by someone registered?
That is possible, and is often done.

The important point to note is that the law requires that a gas appliance is fitted by a "competent" person, but if the installer is self-employed or employed, they (or their employer) must be Corgi registered.

It's best to involve a Corgi reg. person from the outset. He will be able to say what aspects of the work he has to do, and what can be done by your plumber, as well as advising on the boiler and flue location.

Sponsored Links
still a little confused, but from what i can gather, they have to be corgi registered to carry out the work. i.e they can't be just a plumber and have it checked after installation.

If you want to comply with the law, I've told you what it says (more or less).

The Corgi installer might be happy for certain elements of the work to be done by someone not Corgi registered. But if it's just a boiler change, the extent of that work might be too small to be worthwhile.

Quote:
Is it possible that they can do install and then have it certified/checked by someone registered?

Chrishutt:

Ha! You want to try it. None of the (OFTEC) registered installers I've spoken to will touch my DIY job. Not even Oilman. ;)

What I should have said is "possible but not necessarily legal".

PaulAH said:
Quote:

Chrishutt:

Ha! You want to try it. None of the (OFTEC) registered installers I've spoken to will touch my DIY job. Not even Oilman. ;)

A Competent Person is permitted to self certify their own work, they are NOT permitted to certify someone elses work. ONLY a building control officer has this authority. Apart from that, who would like to accept liability for an installation put in by someone else?

As for you PaulAH, I could service your boiler, and tell you what the non-compliances are. With this information, assuming there were none, you could have it signed off by your good friend J.Prescott. :confused:

oilman said:
A Competent Person is permitted to self certify their own work
Not so, unless that competent person is also registered with Corgi/OFTEC or whatever and is therefore covered by a self-certification scheme.

Oilman said:
I could service your boiler, and tell you what the non-compliances are
(Indignant) There are none.

Oilman said:
you could have it signed off by your good friend J.Prescott
I don't want to bother him. He's too busy doing good in the world.

chrishutt said:
oilman said:
A Competent Person is permitted to self certify their own work
Not so, unless that competent person is also registered with Corgi/OFTEC or whatever and is therefore covered by a self-certification scheme.

That's why I wrote Competent Person with capital letters. As far as the building regulations are concerned it is only registered operators who are Competent Persons. This is NOT the same as someone who is competent. But then you should know that.

oilman said:
That's why I wrote Competent Person with capital letters
OK, I didn't appreciate the significance of the capital letter. Your probably right then. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back