Fitting thermostatic radiator valves in microbore system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1970s era 10mm microbore CH system in my 3-storey house. The radiators are fitted with double entry valves (at least I think that's what they are called - both pipes terminate at the same side of the radiator).

I would like to fit thermostatic valves, but I have not been able to readily find these. Are there in fact special valves for this type of system, or can I simply replace the outer valve body itself with an ordinary thermostatic valve?

I'm sure the answer to this would be obvious if I understood how these valves worked, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could please explain how the double entry valve functions

thanks

Sponsored Links
You will need to replace your twin entry valves with two separate valves at each end of rad, extending one of the two pipes to the other end of the rad.

Twin entry valves (which are still available, but not in a thermostatic version AFAIK) work by using a short tail pipe inside the rad to separate the flow and return water where they would otherwise mix.

Thanks. I had wondered if that was a solution - in fact it sounds like the only solution.

Presumably a task best left until warmer times, since the whole system would have to be drained and given that it woud be a more time consuming task per radiator than a simple valve changeout, this would be a laborious chore for a 13 radiator system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back