Knocking pipes even when system off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am a bit confused with my CH system at the moment as it is making odd noises. A few days ago we turned the CH on and I heard some whooshing sounds around the pipes - I assumed this must be air in the pipes although I have never heard it before.
The whooshing never returned but now the pipes in various parts of the house are making intermittent knocking/banging noises. Yesterday there was a banging around the boiler area itself but today I got home and there is a knocking sound in the bedroom/dining room (one room is over the other). The strange thing is the system was off and had been for 7 hours. I have the CH on now and it's still making a knocking noise every couple of minutes.
We had some mice in the house last year so I considered whether we had rodents hanging around the pipework somehow however there is no scratching and it is definitely a metallic knocking travelling in various parts of the pipe work.
Can air in pipes make a noise when the system has been off for hours? Does this even sound like air in pipes or something else?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back