Top Arms Not Moving, Dirty Top Dishes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have KitchenAid and over the past several weeks noitced the dishes on the top rack are not getting clean. I did a test (positioned arms to point a certain way, then ran dish washer. Repeated a couple times and each time by the end of cycle arms were in exact same spot...so assumed they did not move at all) and I don't think the arms on the top are moving at all. I don't think they are spraying water either.

I read some posts here and other sites. Am thinking of trying to change the inlet, does that make sense? Some posts talk about a filter, but besides the one on the bottem inside of hte maching I don't think i have any other filters to change.

Thanks for you help, ed

Sponsored Links
My one (Bosch) did that the other day. Took about 3 washes before I finally realised all the stuff I was putting away in cupboards was still dirty...

Anyway, in my case, it was a simple problem - the "sprayers" (for want of a better word) on the outer edge of the top rotary arm, were blocked with what looked like potato. So no water was coming through - also, these are the "sideways facing" sprayers which would normally cause the arm to rotate.

The top rotary arm detaches fairly easily on our dishwasher, so it was pretty easy to get it out, clean it under a tap and check it was clear again, then reattach.

I don't know if there's supposed to be a filter (apart from the main one in the bottom) to prevent this from happening again, but it's certainly the only time it's happened in the 6+ years we've had it.

In the UK, the water to feed to upper spay arms usually squirts through a port in the "ceiling" of the washer. Presumably you aren't placing a pan or anything between this outlet port and the inlet hole in the top of the upper spindle?

Also, I agree that I find mashed potato is the thing most likely to linger in a dishwasher. Needs rinsing off into the sink before you load pans and plates into the d/wr.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back