Caulk then Prime vs Prime then Caulk. The pros and cons....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I apologise in advance that this is a question that comes up often. I've already done some reading and it seems there is no agreement. So I was really keen to throw open a thread for discussion....

As I see it, both schools of thought have their strengths:

Prime then caulk. Advantages:
- Caulk will stick a lot better (to some surfaces at least).
- Areas that need caulking (and filling) are a lot easier to see after priming.

Caulk then prime. Advantages:
- Prevents the top coats of paint from cracking crazing.

They all seem like good things which leads me to wonder whether it is best to prime, caulk, then prime again. But it takes me long enough to paint anything as it is, without adding further steps!

So please go ahead and add a comment as to what you recommend.....

Many thanks

Max

PS - I was hoping to run a poll but cannot see an option to do this. Are polls possible on this forum???

Sponsored Links
Hello

After I've fitted my skirting boards I always caulk the gaps and then prime/undercoat and then paint the top coat. So far I've never had a problem with the caulk cracking. So for me, caulk then prime :D

Phil

Sponsored Links
Should always Prime raw wood first then caulk on top. Caulk doesnt adhere to raw wood very well.

Is the answer not - Both!

I always find that however much time I spend filling I always see a few patches when I put a coat of paint on top, so I will do a bit of filling between coats.

I have been known to put 4 coats with filling in between on a particular 'feature' wall because I wasn't happy with the finish.

Obsessive?? Naaahhh...

Thing is Nigel, were talking about Caulking and not filling in the middle of a wall. You wouldnt use caulk there anyway. I agree that there is no problem with filling , painting ,filling etc, with a mixed filler as you cant always see every little defect straight away.
Caulking is really only for gaps on the top edge of skirtings and casings etc. This is where wood needs to be already painted to allow the caulk to stick.
Joiners usually put caulking on joints to make their work look a bit neater but if left for some time before painting will invariably come off.

Ahhh - Ok.

Sorry, I failed to spot the difference. My excuse is that I posted at 6.15 this morning when my few remaining brain cells weren't fully fired up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back