Drains Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I want to add a 2nd toilet. The thing that worries me is the existing drains are only about 8 inches below ground level. I'm concerned that when the council see it they will refuse the work as the drains dont meet modern regs. Anyone got any ideas? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sometimes we have had no choice but to lay drains close to the surface owing to limited falls.

Just crack on, but the risk from Jack.F. is there and yours to burden.

Doing it on the crafty side does apeal to me as ive paid building control a lot of money over the years However I may have to rent the place out soon as im strugling to sell it. Also wont any future buyers solicitor or surveyor want to check?
I take it you gents suspect there could be problems? Thanks for your repies by the way.

Sponsored Links
[quote="hoq";p="2924264". Also wont any future buyers solicitor or surveyor want to check?
[/quote]

Yes, when you fill in the form with all the questions, where it says 'have you done any work to the house' you write;
'yes, I stuck in a wc with the drains only covered by a bit of soil, and I didn't bother telling building control because I didn't want them sniffing around.' :rolleyes:

Think I better explain in more detail. I wont be adding to the drain run or touching anything below ground. I will be branching into the soil pipe with the new toilet above ground. The current man hole is very shallow, I will be using that.
Technically I wont be adding to it either as there is already 2 toilets but I am doing away with one and replacing it with this new one. But as I say the man hole is very shallow so im concerned the council will get arsey.

'yes, I stuck in a wc with the drains only covered by a bit of soil, and I didn't bother telling building control because I didn't want them sniffing around.' :rolleyes:
Phrasing it like that would be a bad idea.

But so would lying, as that then turns the house sale into a multi-£100K fraudulent transaction, which is probably somewhere you don't want to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back