Feeder Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak in the Feeder Tank so I have turned the water off,if it is left off for any length of time will this cause problems

Sponsored Links
yes you need to change ball valve (type 2), or your system will not run as it will have no water inside( leading to other probs) :cry:
To adhere to current water bylaws you will need to fit a bylaw 30 kit which consists of lagging, screened vents etc

byw law 30 has been changed to some other .... ****** i'm too ****ed (for once) to remember but in the merchants bye law 30 kit does the job every time

Sponsored Links
AFCS said:
I have a leak in the Feeder Tank so I have turned the water off,if it is left off for any length of time will this cause problems

Not for a couple of weeks, then the boiler will remind you the water in the header tank has evaporated by violently attempting to remove itself from the wall.

I'm also having a little trouble with my feeder tank. I've noticed that for the last few days, the overflow pipe that pokes out from under my roof tiles had been dripping slowly. When I went up to the loft, I was able to figure out that this small black tank high up in the eaves seemed to be the problem. Because of where it is, I can't actually see into it, put I was able to get my arms into it and when I held the ballcock up the dripping would slow and stop, and when I pushed the ballcock down, the water inlet would start to flow.
To my simple DIY brain, this seems like a simple problem of a faulty washer / valve and if I drain the tank, unscrew the pipes and take it down, it should hopefully be a relatively straightforward job of me replacing the washer or whatever? I've read elsewhere about bylaw 30 kits, but have no idea what they are. How does the balcock mechanism in this tank differ from the kind you'd find in a toilet cistern, for example?
If I do need to replace the whole mechanism, I assume I can buy it as a pack from the likes of B&Q / Focus etc and won't need to buy it with a new tank? (I'm worried that if I have to buy a new tank too, the positioning of the water inlet and outlet may be different, and I'm not up for doing new pipework myself! :eek: )

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back