high ze reading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, not posted in a while and after some advice.

just finishing a loft conversion and needed to get a sparky in to replace the existing board
supplied an mk dual rcd 17th edition board and all the trimmings.
all gone to plan, everything working :)
electrician has done all his readings and got a 9 ohm reading on ze from suply ?
his megger is calibrated and checked another supply all good

can anyone reccomend my next action as the main contractor?
as ever any advice is appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Is the earth provided by the DNO or is it via an electrode?
In the case of it being supplied by the DNO contact them

If it's a TT earthing arrangement then the readings are acceptable, if TN-S or TN-C-S then you need to call the DNO.

pardon my ignorance. im a wood butcher lol.
the supply looks like swa and the earth is strapped to the exterior of it.
there are no other earthing points.
hope this makes sense :)

Sponsored Links
haha. its my eldests birthday today. wanted to wind him up that hes still not legally allowed to drink but going to wait at the job for northern to turn up instead. 8 cans and a text to the wife to pick me up later is in order :)

That's unfortunate, if that was the case I would have clocked off!
Any way tough it out with the tins, and my best wishes to your eldest.

It always amazes and annoys how many electrical contractors never test the Ze before starting a job in case they need to TT it or other.
Then contact us in a panic at the end of the working day because it is high! (and often on a Friday)
Or as in this case leave it to someone else to find out what to do and do it!

i hate fridays! dont mind waiting in for my client to ensure everything is ok. my sparky is a good guy and im sure he will Ze at the start everytime now. he was a litle puzzled lol. goes to show that the apprenticeships arent long enough these days and qualifications will never replace experience :)

It always amazes and annoys how many electrical contractors never test the Ze before starting a job in case they need to TT it or other.
Then contact us in a panic at the end of the working day because it is high! (and often on a Friday)
Or as in this case leave it to someone else to find out what to do and do it!
I quite agree - it something I always do - but it is contrary to the Inspection and Testing Guidance Notes and 2391 exams which insist on following all the dead tests before starting the live tests.
To the OP while it sounds like a TNS I wonder whether someone has 'created' a TNS out of an old TT system. Especially when I hear the following:
the supply looks like swa and the earth is strapped to the exterior of it.
there are no other earthing points.
So there are no gas or water pipes connected to the Main Earthing Terminal?
DNO will probably tell you to TT it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back