Dry lining boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When fitting dry lining socket boxes, should they be fitted before or after plastering/tiling?

Sponsored Links
I'd fit them after plastering because those spring clips don't work very well after you have smacked them to get rid of the massive amounts of spare plaster that your man leaves in the box. Best leave them till after. They can be cut in neat enough then anyway.

Not sure I would want to fit them after the tiler to be honest! Although, can be done.

Can be fitted before or after I would imagine. Personal preference?

I always fit them prior - when I have to (always prefer metal and noggin).

The small front lip of the box is designed to fit flush to the plaster. Agree, plasterers can go OTT, although on a standard plasterboard wall, it's only a light skim.

Fit prior and fill with newspaper to stop too much plaster entering the box, you can also put masking tap around the front lip, that way when it peels off it removes the excess plaster. They are desinged so that when the wall is skimmed you get a flush finish, otherwise the box stands proud a few mm.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, I'll fit prior to plastering as suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back