blocked bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bath won't drain at all and each time I turn on the tap in the handbasin it fills up the bath. I've tried plunging the bath and lots of gunk comes up - this does not clear the blockage. I've also tried hot water, bleach and drain clearing chemicals (not together) they have not worked either. What advice can you give me.

Sponsored Links
The waste from your basin probably joins the bath waste and the blockage is after that point or it may be that there is a blockage in the stack. If you feel confident it may be worth your while trying to clear the blockage with a drain spring - it may be easier to remove the basin trap to gain better access to the piepwork.

If you are not confident then call a drain clearing company - don't forget to tell them that you have poured bleach and other chemicals down the drains.

Don't pour any other chemicals down the drain - some have a nasty habit of reacting with each other and producing nasty by-products

Agree with the other posters but, Draino Rod et al know how to charge :!: :cry: .can you get someone to help by blocking the basin waste and overflow with a wet rag, while you plunge the bath :idea: must be cheaper :!: Protect your eyes from the water that now has bleach etc. in it :!: :!:

Thanks guys for your advice.

I've just had the bath drain cleared by Dyno-Rod - expensive I know but I did not think I had a choice. My landlord won't pay for the drains to be cleared - he says that its our responsibility - this of course I will protest.

It turns out that tile grouting was blocking the waste pipes. The people in the flat above had extensive work carried out in their bathroom and cloakroom in the summer (new suite and tiles) - is it likely that's where the tile grouting came from?

I live in a 1930's block of flats and the waste pipes are the original copper ones - they found a gap in the pipe which they said is leaking unto the floor - now that the drain is unblocked will this get any worse?

Sponsored Links
Gap doesn`t sound good :oops: how much did they charge :eek: Plunging wouldn`t have shifted grout... I can`t possibly comment on from whence it came :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back