moving a master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Attempting to move a master socket and shorten the drop cable, before I just cut it to required length, is there any voltages to be wary of. Or is it best to strip it back and cut each wire one at a time. Stupid question I know but never done a phone line before.

Sponsored Links
Hiya,

The phone line operates at 50v DC. However, if someone should ring your phone 75v AC will be supplied down the line to operate the ringer.

Have a look inside the current Master Socket. To see which Wires are connected to which terminals. You should have 2 or 3 wires connected to the Master Socket.

My BT Master Socket has 2 wires connected. Some have an extra socket connected which is the ring wire - but is usually not needed.

You can just cut the cable. It is safe to work on. However, dont do anything silly (like stripping the internal sheathing on the wires with your teeth). If someone was to ring you phone whilst you do that you will probably be thrown across the room - 75v AC will give you quite a kick.

BT wouldnt like you touching the Master Socket. As this is their property. Anything forward of the Master socket is your property (ie extensions).

However, I have moved them on many occassions and never had any issues.

Regards,

Richard

richyje";p="2958886 said:
Hiya,

. If someone was to ring you phone whilst you do that you will probably be thrown across the room - 75v AC will give you quite a kick.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It will not...you will get a zap and curse a bit but that is about all

You can just cut it as if it was dead (shorting it is no problem). I would use insulated cutters though for the reason bodgeit gave, the ringing current is not in the least bit pleasant. Oh and it's dropwire, not drop cable. :D

Sponsored Links
Wet your fingers, hold one wire in each hand and have someone ring it. Tell us what curse word(s) you use :D

. If someone was to ring you phone whilst you do that you will probably be thrown across the room - 75v AC will give you quite a kick.
It will not...you will get a zap and curse a bit but that is about all

Unless you're on a ladder at the time, and fall off the ladder, smashing into the conservatory roof. The roof beams break your back and paralyse you, you fall through the glass lacerating your arteries, and land on a vase the wife's mother gave you for your wedding.

The wife will never let you forget breaking the vase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back