Radiators - banging, leaking, cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a new home owner (what a mistake). I had my furnace looked at before I turned it on and was told everything was fine. Well I turn it on and three radiators on the first floor get nice and hot and one upstairs. The bathroom radiator was leaking water and banging and the radiator in the den just leaks. The one in the laundry room gets luke warm but does not get warm enough for the room. Up on the second floor one of the radiators does not do anything, no banging, no heat, no nothing. I replaced the valve in the bathroom with a Gorton 6, turned it on this morning and it was banging, hissing and leaking. It does get hot after the water spits all over the place.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I have been told several things, about bleeding the radiators (which I have no clue what they are talking about, told me I need a key), the valves could be bad and/or there is too much water in the system. What should I look at first and could you give me some insight on bleeding the radiators. They are resecced radiators except for the one in the laundry room HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
I couldn't find a similar problem at the page given. My radiator heats just fine, the problem is all the hot water that comes bubbling out of the turn on valve. The radiator doesn't bang or stay cold but the water is ruining my new floor. HELP!! :confused:
Martie

Martie said:
the problem is all the hot water that comes bubbling out of the turn on valve.

Are you hearing hissing sounds,if so you've air in radiator

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Martie said:
the problem is all the hot water that comes bubbling out of the turn on valve.

Are you hearing hissing sounds,if so you've air in radiator
Well, there's a slight "bubbling" sound...or I guess hissing, as the water is coming out of the radiator. There's no banging. My husband put something called "dope" :confused: around the seam of the turn off/on valve and so far no more water but I'm thinking whatever that is will eventually melt from the heat. We will see! Thanks for your reply.
Martie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back