Outside Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add two outside lights connected in parallel and to be operated by a switch from indoors.My question is can i take a live feed from the existing downstairs lighting circuit? Also if this can be done would i have to move the mcb that covers this lighting circuit to the rcd side of the consumer box?
Thank you for any help

Sponsored Links
do you know about part p?

Many electricians say use the downstairs ring to provide power for outside lights. Never advisable to put lights on an RCD. Outside lights dont need to be on an RCD either, afaik.

Take a spur from the ring main, use a switched FCU to get it down to 3 or 5 amps, and take 1.0mm² cable to the switch for these lights. Use arctic flex outside - it is eaasier to terminate etc.

Deeno said:
I want to add two outside lights connected in parallel and to be operated by a switch from indoors.My question is can i take a live feed from the existing downstairs lighting circuit?
yes, but take the neutral and earth from there as well

Also if this can be done would i have to move the mcb that covers this lighting circuit to the rcd side of the consumer box?
Thank you for any help
No, no reason for outside lighting to be on RCD, and putting circuits that serve indoor lighting on RCDs is something to be avoided, or when the thing nuisense trips, or you drop the toaster in the kitchen sink, you'll be reseting it in the dark...

EDIT: Reading crafty's reply, reminded me of something, if these lights are those halogen floodlights, then adding them to the lighting circuit would probably overload it, but if they are something like 60w lanterns, shouldn't be a problem, but still adviseable to calculate the loading on the circuit and make sure

Adam_151 said:
you drop the toaster in the kitchen sink
oh that is so annoying when that happens, such a loud bang, quite often i have woken my dad doing this. He then gets annoyed cos his alarm clock resets itself. I keep telling him to get a 9v battery in there, but he wont have it! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies. The lights that are going outside are just the normal 60w lantern type. The only reason i asked about moving the mcb to the rcd side of the box was because I thought that any circuit that was liable to earthing out etc or diverse loads would be better protected with the rcd, and as the lights were outside, and with the possibility of rain water attacking the outside electrics..it was just a thought...but thank you for putting me right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back