Hot water not hot - Alpha Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having problems with our combi boiler and thought somebody may be able to advise what the problem is.

We have an Alpha CB24/28 (I'm just reading this off the front of manual so if its a choice of a 24 or a 28 not sure which one)Anyway the central heating seems to be fine but the hot water takes ages to come through and even on the highest setting is not v hot. I have tried resetting the system but this hasn't helped and also turned the switch from CH&HW to HW only. When I did this I didn't get any hot water at all.

All the ignition lights seem to be functioning as they should in the manual as have gone through the fault finder section and this seemed fine.

Any ideas what the problem could be - let me know if you need any more info.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply...

Is this something we would need to get a professional to do or something we could do ourselves. Also what is the cost of the part.

Many thanks

Get a Corgi reg plumber.........the part is only a few quid and labour should be no more than 30mins worth.

Sponsored Links
Great Thanks...

I think we are due a service anyway so hopefully they will be able to do this at the same time.

Just found this message board - great. Got to find and call a plumber tomorrow and was dreading it. Alpha boiler not giving out any hot water when just set to HW and has been luke warm when on CH . Looked on this mboard and found a similar Query and answer 14 dec ' Sounds like the DHW diaphragm. Doddle to sort on this.....10 min job' From harrogate gas.
Add. problem is there seems to be some drips of water coming from somewhere- looking at a diagram seems to be where this DHW is. Everyting Ok when CH on but yesterday when CH not on and put H tap on the needle rose right into red culminating in water come out of overlow pipe outside. As I know absolutely nothing all seems pretty scary to me so turned everything off!
Can anyone advise - I need to get boiler serviced anyway - if I phone a plumber and ask for a service - will this problem be fixed as part of service?Can I expect him to have the part with him and if not would I be charged while he goes to merchants to get it? Can i expect a plumber to charge a call out on top ?

Thanks for any help

i know this is an old reply but do you work for nothing of course you should pay while he is fetching bits so long as he does not take the p****he is still working on your breakdown whilst he is fetching bits and call out is up to the indevidual so ask first not argue later ..

as for will a service correct this problem the answer is a definate no so do not try to con engineer by asking for a service tell him it has a fault he may even pre emp this by collecting the parts he thinks he may need if he does not fit or open them he should get a credit and not charge you I do. pretty annoying as you allow time for a service not diagnostic fault finding and repair. so be honest with the engineer and he should be fair with you. THATS ALL WE ASK

had problem with my hot water on my alpha cd25c combi would come on for 10-15 secs then go on and off, was told it could be the diaphram on the diverter valve which is situated at tha bottom right han corner so i wacked the black bit a couple of times with a screwdriver handle, now it works fine

6j,, post you are replying to is well dated. It is quite likely the poster may have got the boiler repaired by now, replaced even

A little hint- screw driver is girly way of doing what you are proposing- a lump hammer will fix it better ;)

maybe i'm a girly guy but i've got hot water, soi there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back