Reskim plaster, or fill and use lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be cheaper, filling the holes and papering a room before painting it, or having it re-skimmed with plaster?

I was talking with a friend about redecorating their house. They have just removed a ceiling full of wood chip paper and a load of lining paper from walls, because they have removed a load of fitted furniture and done like the woodchip look.
The plaster left behind is mainly sound, oldish I think, and has clearly been filled/touched up once before under the paper. Three walls are solid and rendered before plastering, others is pb partition wall, ceiling appears to be plasterboard over laths and plaster. Its an old house the non of the walls are that flat/vertical other than the one side that's a party wall.

Personally I am not a fan of lining paper as such, but mainly that fear of the unknown having never really dealt with it before.

Thoughts?

The finished aim is for smooth looking emulsion, as far as i know, in a fairly light/neutral color.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
It strikes me as a fan of homes under the hammer, that everybody seems to smash off the plaster and redo far more than necessary.
I have never had to reskim a whole house just the odd wall or so. With care paper can be stripped without destroying the plaster underneath, lining paper gives a very nice finish it helps to blend differing patches of plaster and old paint and when done properly joins are invisible.

For painting, line vertically like normal paper not horizontally, The only down side is if you have a cat that claws the walls or a tenant that causes damage a plain plastered wall is easier to repair than shredded paper.
Also remember that new plaster needs drying time and even then you really need to use paint for new plaster which is not very resistant to stains and moisture.

Ok, thanks for the comments.

The underlying plaster isnt good enough to just paint, and would need some minor filling before it too paper as far as I know. There are also some scrapes/scratches from the paper removal.

There is also a section of ceiling about 8x4 where the pb appears to sag into two 4x4 dips.

Time, as in drying time, is not really an issue as the projects two months old already and works ok in the mean time as a place to sleep! but time to work on it (as in free labour) is limited.

How much would it be to have someone paper a room, walls a ceiling, as a ball park compared to skimming a similar area? The rooms maybe about 6m x 7m , with a chimney breast, beam down one side, shower cubical and wash basin, etc, and as said, not square/true.

Daniel

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back