Valliant 242 Boiler Hot Water Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved to a new house last month and the combi boiler is playing up, the hot water is only hot for a few minutes then it goes luke warm. The boiler has fired up and still going even when the water is coming out luke warm.

I have had a quote from British Gas to replace the boiler which is about £3K. The current system has crappy heating control with no room stat and a 24 hour mechanical clock, the rads have old thermostatic valves. I've just ordered a Drayton RF3i thermostat to improve the control of the heating as it seems to be using a lot of gas at the moment. It seems to be to hot or to cold in the house.

My Question is the fix required to sort the hot water problem cheap. And is it worth upgrading to a new boiler. I think the boiler is about 10 years old, I have service history dating back to 1997.

Sponsored Links
There are two likely 242's - does it have a metal or plastic lower door?
If the door is missing does it have a couple of switches to the left under a rubber clear cover, or a black panel with green knobs!?

In either case they're mendable. £ depends...
May be some sludge in the system which would need clearing for a new boiler anyway...

I would say this boiler is very mendable.

You will NOT get a boiler like this. This boiler was made to last. Get it fixed- it will outlast most boilers on sale today.

Controls. Lack of these mean only one thing. That is cost skimming. It is always sensible to have proper controls- even on a boiler 30 years of age.

If the problem is dirt in the DHW heat exchanger then its about £136 to clean it out as a quick fix.

To do the job properly and give a guarantee it would be necessary to power flush it, about £300.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
There are two likely 242's - does it have a metal or plastic lower door?
If the door is missing does it have a couple of switches to the left under a rubber clear cover, or a black panel with green knobs!?

In either case they're mendable. £ depends...
May be some sludge in the system which would need clearing for a new boiler anyway...

The boiler has a metal lower door and the two switches are under a rubber clear cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back