Chimney Breast Removal = advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently live in a Victorian semi-detached property in Oxfordshire, constructed in 1929.

We are considering removal of the existing chimney breat to free up more spece in both downstairs and upstairs front rooms however, the arrangement has got me a bit stumped and would be grateful if you have come across a chimney arrangement as per ours where I fear the extent of works may be structurally prohibitive/uneconomic. (Aware Structural Engineer calcs req/ party wall agreement/ building control req)

At ground level, the existing chimney is a back to back arrangement with the internal wall single skin brick wall dividing frnt/back rooms. This continues vertically up to the first floor where at half-way up, the chimney breast slopes 45o towards the party wall with the neighbour and in the loft then continues vertically with 6pots being present externally (4 ours/2 neighbours). I would hazard a guess that the chimney breast has been designed as a buttress arrangement between both properties.

It was our hope that the chimney breast in the larger rear rooms could be maintained to enable a woodburning stove to be installed whilst concentrating works in the front rooms. The concerns I have are loading on the attic joists if any attempt to support the chimney stack from RSJ’s on the joints and also eccentric loading on lower levels and on neighbours roof etc.

If you have experience in the above scenario and any approximate idea of costs/works required to enable above to be considered feasible/practical considering minimum space benefits, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back