adding extra sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i want to add a few extra sockets inside a built in wardrobe im installing,
there is a single socket in existence right next to it.

how would i go about installing two more double sockets what will i need to do can i just use the one already supplying the single socket, what connections would i need.

thankyou.

Sponsored Links
hello mr Ban,

hmmm its not a spur and how do i tell if its a radial or a ring circuit.

Thanks for your reply

of course i know the difference now between the two ring/radial, but how do i check which one is mine??

i'm guessing ring is better, but for what i want to do should i hope i have radial as the job would be easier.

but i'd appreciate if you can advise on how i can find out the circuit im running

Sponsored Links
open the consumer unit (be very careful - if you can isolate this elsewhere, do so, otherwise there are permenantly live parts exposed here).

Look at the circuit breaker / fuse for this circuit, if there are 2 wires, its most likely a ring. Test for this using your multimeter on the (disconnected) live cores in continuity mode. If there is continuity, its a ring.

If just one wire, Its a radial.

If the single socket you speak of is not required, you could replace this with a 13A switch fused spur and run a radial from the load side to your new sockets.

Cut the power to the circuit, check the socket is dead with your multimeter, remove the socket, and use the continuity test on your multimeter between the two cables to see if you have a ring or not (do it on all three conductors then you can pick up if the ring is broken or not)

thanks guys i will check this, with the suggestions you have given. i will need a multimeter i think i may aswell invest in one. im sure i'll need it in the future!!

i'll be back with my conclusion.

have you considered using a multi-way extension lead? fitted in seconds without even needing to lift a screwdriver!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back