Help removing excess silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed some black kitchen worktops and sealed around my sink and hob with white silicone (big mistake). Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the silicone as it looks a mess.

Sponsored Links
Alternatively, score lightly with a stanley/scalpel blade round your appliances trying not to cut into worktops, then rub the 'excess' with your finger/thumb. The excess should peel off quite nicely.
When laying silicone, put a bead round where you want it and then smooth it/forve it with your finger into the gap you want to fill. This will leave a thin film that rubs away quite easily.

From experience, you have to remove the majority of the silicone with a blade or scraper. Then use the silicone remover to get rid of any residue. Wipe down with a damp cloth and then clean the area with meths or a suitable cleaner. When you are ready to re-seal it, use masking tape and mask both sides of the joint. Squeeze the silicone into the joint and then smooth with your finger. Don't apply too much because it will look crap when you remove the tape. Remove the masking tape as soon as you have finished smoothing it down. What you can do afterwards (what I have tried, but you have to be VERY carefull!!) if put a large amount of spit on the end of your finger and ever so gently smooth it down again. It just finishes it off really well, but you have to be carefull otherwise it goes all over the place!

Here's a pic of my shower glass, sorry it's not a closeup, but you get the idea!

bathroom3.jpg

Sponsored Links
I found that to do the 'final smoothing' of silicone sealant, one method that seems to work is to pull a small piece of cling film tightly over your index finger (tight enough so that the surface of the film is completely smooth) and then dip the covered finger into a strong solution of washing up liquid (to reduce surface tension). Keep replacing the cling film as necessary.

Agreed,even better if you use Surgical Gloves,just bought some £7.50 for 100 :!:

I always do it this way,you know how it is,you get a little bit of sealant on your hand then it get everywhere :!: I just change the gloves again when it happen as it's cheap

masona said:
Agreed,even better if you use Surgical Gloves,just bought some £7.50 for 100 :!:
Masona, that's one major fetish when you buy 100 prs of latex gloves, I've some gallon containers of washing up liquid if you're interested :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Scoby_Beasley said:
I've some gallon containers of washing up liquid if you're interested

Thanks for the offer Scoby,but I'm using dishwasher tablets now ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back