My recent Project... I built it myself!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
howdy, well first off i want to say sorry for not listening before (u know..fluro's).
Anyways I have built a contactor...

I just need confirmation that everything is right before I test it - Please dont shout at me, im still learning here. :LOL:

contact1uu.jpg

Would appreciate any comments & merry xmas to you.

Dave

(ps... I took the contactor thing off for illustration purposes, i havent forgot to add that, il put it on once i know everything is right)

Sponsored Links
well lets start with the obvious faults.

1: no enclosures or cord grips
2: no earths!

are fuses appropriately rated for the ratings of the contactors and cables?

what do you intend to use this for?

Presumably the octal socket takes a relay with a 230V coil, and you're using the right terminals - 2&7 for the coil and 6&8 for a pair of contacts?

And the contacts are rated at at least 13A, any load (e.g. reactive?)

OOI - any reason why you didn't use a rail mount contactor like this:

MK6220.JPG

?

Anyway - observations

1) The relay & base and choc-block will need to be in an enclosure, and you'll need to provide some form of cord-grip for the three flexes.

2) The plug & socket at the bottom should be wired using 3-core flex. Even if what you plan to power via it doesn't need an earth, it is very bad practice to provide BS 1363 sockets without an earth...

What is this for?

plugwash said:
well lets start with the obvious faults.

1: no enclosures or cord grips
2: no earths!

are fuses appropriately rated for the ratings of the contactors and cables?

what do you intend to use this for?

It's for a digital timer & a 600W aquarium light (the timer keeps blowing)

I was told to use a contactor which "handles" with the startup power thus not damaging my timer.

yeh 3A fuse which is efficient for what i need it for. (or so I am told)

I followed a guide to make this circuit, i just need to know if the circuit is right, forgot about encloser's for a minute, i just need to see if it works. (i will however be buying some ip hosing & enclosures)

oh & the earth... the guide said its optional...

Thanks for replying

edit: didnt see your post ban-sheds, yeh the light i got has got a earth which is connected to the ballast - How do add a earth to this circuit? ... just run a wiring out of the plug onto a piece of metal?

cheers mate

Sponsored Links
pdcelec said:
Oh no, not another wind up!

Please dont humiliate me again, i didnt post for this sort of treatment off people- i need help & frankly if your gonna be abusive to me then i will go.

ps: Thanks to the other people who posted with some real advice instead of acting egotistic like pdcdick.

thanks

i don't know where you found this guide but as BAS said its extremly bad practice not to provide an earth to a british 3 pin socket since even if the equipment you have currently doesn't require earthing its going to be very easy to forget that you didn't provide an earth.

remember to restrain any flexes leaving an enclosure. probablly the easiest way to fo this is compression glands.

as for the wiring being correct or not it looks sane but i can't say for sure without knowing the pinout of the relay you plan to plug in to that base.

Dave9 said:
oh & the earth... the guide said its optional...
Optional??

How can it be optional?

If the light doesn't need an earth, it doesn't need an earth, and vice-versa - it can't be optional.

And as I said, it's not really optional to connect the earth terminal in the socket.

But why not just get a decent timer? 600W is not a lot to expect to switch...

its a total waste.

why not do away with it all and just plug in what ever you are going to plug in, much easier.

The set up you have will operate the RELAY to ...................turn on the socket. (which will only work when the first plug is plugged in)
That is not what contactors are for, and as i already said, the missing part is a relay, not a contator

plugwash said:
i don't know where you found this guide but as BAS said its extremly bad practice not to provide an earth to a british 3 pin socket since even if the equipment you have currently doesn't require earthing its going to be very easy to forget that you didn't provide an earth.

remember to restrain any flexes leaving an enclosure. probablly the easiest way to fo this is compression glands.

as for the wiring being correct or not it looks sane but i can't say for sure without knowing the pinout of the relay you plan to plug in to that base.

Thanks for that, so i need wire a earth wire to this circuit or will it be ok?
can i just wire a earth wire to the plug's & join them all to a metal place (which will be enclosed)

Below is a pic closeup:

cont6zm.jpg

Thank you for helping

they are correct, but as i said, its a total waste, since all that will happen is you will switch on the 2nd socket by plugging in the first

pdcelec said:
So, what relay are you going to use?

i have a relay, i just took it off to take a pic....

relay7oe.jpg

& this what the guide i followed looked like...

6completerelaysetup4pd.jpg

:)

Dave9 said:
edit: didnt see your post ban-sheds, yeh the light i got has got a earth which is connected to the ballast - How do add a earth to this circuit? ... just run a wiring out of the plug onto a piece of metal?

cheers mate

3-core flex from the bottom plug into the choc-block.

3-core flex from the choc-block to the trailing socket.

3-core flex from the light to its plug, and at the light connect the cpc to the earth terminal that the light must have if it needs an earth.

. . . . .
divider2a.GIF

PLAN B:

Use a rail-mount contactor and a rail-mount timer inside a small enclosure, with all the internal wiring kept inside, then all you'll need is 1 plug, 1 socket, 1 cable going in & 1 coming out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back