Worcester Bosch Heatslave 15/19 - Lockout problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? Two weeks ago I had to have the flue from my boiler changed due to a conservatory being built on the side of the house. It was changed from a horizontal flue through an external wall into a vertical one through the ceiling (it is a RS type). As soon as this was done my boiler started to lockout and would not work. We could reset it and it would work for a few hours before going out again. My plumber came back and fitted an extension to raise the flue to cure the problem but this has now made it worse and it will lockout after about 20mins now. My Plumber doesn't have a clue and has spent all day trying to fix it. The boiler worked fine before the flue was moved. Does anyone have any ideas so I can point the plumber in the right direction?? :(

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't you be using an OFTEC registered oil installer for this?

Sponsored Links
Providing the flue is clear, there should be little effect, certainly not enough to cause locking out. However, if it is a balanced flue, it may be leaking from the exhaust to the inlet. You need a boiler man to fix it, and if whoever did it is not oftec registered they will have informed building control.........er?.............

My 15/19 has started locking out as well.I had this problem 6 years ago and the service engineer changed the Danfoss pump coil and the problem was solved,I have replaced this coil but the lockout occurs every few days.Any ideas?

OIlman is right. I would suspect the flu is leaking in to the air intake part of the flue. A simple check would be to see if the boiler runs ok without the burner cover box on. DO NOT LEAVE IT LIKE THIS!

am609 said:
My 15/19 has started locking out as well.I had this problem 6 years ago and the service engineer changed the Danfoss pump coil and the problem was solved,I have replaced this coil but the lockout occurs every few days.Any ideas?

There are a number of possibilities. You need to get someone in.

This should resolve the problem, if you remove the front cover you will see a black block with a "stick" inserted into it connected to a wire, if you remove this, you will notice the end has a light sensor on it, this is used to check for a flame, more often than not it gets dirty, cannot detect a flame and therefore locks out, a saftey feature.

When you remove the sensor just give it a wipe, and put it back it (only goes in one way), this should sort the issue out until it locks out again when the sensor gets dirty.

Hope this resolves this issue.

Unfortunately for your first post you have managed to reply to a thread from 2005 !

Hopefully, it has been sorted out during the intervening years.

Nor do I see how cleaning the photocell window will help when its apparently as a direct result of something to do with the flue.

However, I suspect that the combustion settings were not readjusted when the new flue was fitted as that will have altered.

Tony

***I know I replied to an old thread, this was because I was on here two months ago looking for a solution to the same problem, and there didn't seem to be a positive answer.***

This was on recommendation from my Engineer who, replaced the coil, and the Red tank (don't know what's what) and other bits about 2 months ago.

After a couple of days it happened again, he came out, scratched his head, then pulled out the photo cell cleaned it and it has worked fine until today.

So today I checked the photocell, it was black as what could be best described as what a window would look like from a fire.

I cleaned it, pressed the reset and it fired up and worked ok.

Both myself and my neighbour have the same system and the same age, and ironically they both threw up the same fault within days of each other...weird.
I would now expect this to happen on a regular basis as the system is getting on a bit.

I could have thought, oh no not again and gave my Engineer a call, but tried this first, glad i did.

I am not saying this is the solution, but I would like think I am saving people some cash if they were to try this 1st before calling out an engineer.

does the same engineer look after both boilers??
the photocell should not need cleaning on a regular basis between services, need to find out why it's getting sooty...

If its getting black then it indicates that the combustion is set up wrongly. This can cause an imense problem which will be expensive to correct.

You need to call an engineer to set it up properly.

You suggest you called an engineer two months ago. One would hope that he checked and reset the combustion with a flue gas analyser. If so then call him back as he did not do it properly.

If he did not check it, then call someone else who is more diligent!

Tony

***I know I replied to an old thread, this was because I was on here two months ago looking for a solution to the same problem, and there didn't seem to be a positive answer.***

Then start a new thread instead of raking up old news.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back