Quiet Ballvalve Staying open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Quiet ballvalve in my upstairs toilet which until month or so ago worked fine. Then I noticed that once or twice, after flushing, the cistern filled with water as per normal....and then carried on filling until the overflow kicked in and it effectively flushed again. Now it happens all the time.

When flushing the float arm drops releasing the water but when I lift the float arm as the cistern fills again water still flows through the valve. This basically means the system never stops flushing! The only way to stop it is to hold the float arm up when flushing and then gently releasing water through until the cistern fills.

Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it? I have checked the diaphragm which seems fine but there is a small white plastic "nail" (looks like one anyway) that goes through the middle of the diapragm that appears to be slightly crushed and bent at the "sharp" end (end closest to the float arm).

Could this be the problem? what is it and can I get a spare one easily?

Many thanks in advance

:D

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a Torbeck valve. do a search on torbeck and see what comes up. They might send you a new diaphragm.

I think perhaps you have the diaphragm round the wrong way. I found the Torbeck makers very helpful, I dropped a bit and it rolled down a duct, they sent me a new bit free. But i'd have been willing to pay ;)

That picture of a Torbeck that Chris put up is very handy if you've had it apart.

There is also an American brand of quiet valve where the float is circular and slides up the shaft, Fluidmaster, which is different to the pic.

speaking from experience, the tiniest fleck of grot in the valve assembly itself can ruin the pressure differential thing that turns it off. try taking it apart and rinsing all the pieces.

Sponsored Links
Jeepers - the last Torbeck I bought was less than £7 - just replace the whole thing. If the pin is bent then it's f***ed anyway.

Thanks everyone. I took it apart, rinsed it all out and put it back together and it seems to be working ok. Have looked a Torbeck up and you're right it would cost very little to replace so going to get a spare one anyway.

Thanks for your advice! Merry Xmas to you all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back