Pipes knock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dishwasher is causing the pipes to knock really hard at certain points in the cycle. I think it is during water inlet only, because it does not occur at any time when the motor or pump is running. Everything else works. Could my inlet pipe be getting occluded? Would that cause noise?

Sponsored Links
It sound like the effect of the mains pressure when the dishwasher's inlet valve closes. If so, then there are various solutions, but the first step is to determine which pipes are banging and fix them to the wall using pipe clips.

Thanks. It is not juat baging once when the inlet vl=alve closes, but continuously whenthe valve is open. It sounds like a jackhammer.

The valve is opening and closing rapidly or you've got a lot of air in your system.

Sponsored Links
How long has it been doing this? Did the first occurrence coincide with something being installed or any other plumbing work being done?

This has been occuring since I lived in this house. It has gotten a liitle worse over the last six months. I tried turning the water supply off, to listen to the valve during the water inlet cycle, and it sounds Ok, like it only clicks once. Could it be the valve, maybe leaking air? Or just the inlet pipe getting occluded?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back