Hallway Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi and merry xmas..

Just a quick basic one...

ok i was about to remove my downstairs hallway light switch to redecorate. When doing so i noticed that 4 of the wires had fallen out..suppose whoever installed it forgot to tighten the screws.

2 x red and 2 x black have fallen out of the double light switch. the spaces that they fell out of are L1 & L2(two sets of spaces)

i have tried putting them back in as i thought but i ended up controlling the kitchen and living room.. lol

is it as simple as red goes in ... and black goes in.....

cheers

Carl

Sponsored Links
youll need to test with a multimeter which wire is which. id imagine that each T&E is for each light

Sponsored Links
i have tried (i think) all combinations of the red and black wires.. they are the only ones that came out.

but cant get it to work as it did. i keep controlling the landing/lounge and kitchen etc...

which are the problem wires? (the ones that came out, and which didnt come out?)

the 2 red and 2 black ( from sockets L1 & L2 ) came out

all others stayed in...

from the two twin and earths .. the earths have been cut off as not to use them

do you have 2 way switching? id guess that each T&E feeds 1 light, so try the red and black from 1 T&E into L1 and L2 in 1 half of the switch, and the other T&E for the other half. does this work?

also, you say that it controls the kitchin and living room light. are they different rooms with completly different switches?

also, the earths must be connected if your using a class 1 switch, otherwise they should be in the terminal block on the backbox or a terminal block. but if you ever do need them and there long enough, make sure that they are connected at the other end aswell

yes the kitchen and living room are seperate (or should be)

this switch should just do the top and bottom of the stairs.

the earth feeds are two seperate wires i think - they did not come out and they have grey cases.

do you have 2 way switching? id guess that each T&E feeds 1 light, so try the red and black from 1 T&E into L1 and L2 in 1 half of the switch, and the other T&E for the other half. does this work?

i have tried that.. i havent crossed them over at all.. this is when i get the kitchen and lounge doing funny things

carlcheadle said:

i have tried that.. i havent crossed them over at all.. this is when i get the kitchen and lounge doing funny things

try puttin 1 red in L1, another red in the other L1, and connect both blacks together, but not in any terminal on the light switch

andy said:
carlcheadle said:

try puttin 1 red in L1, another red in the other L1, and connect both blacks together, but not in any terminal on the light switch

?????

All 4 wires fell out! The installer must have had weak hands. Are you sure that you are telling the full story.

sorted it now... many thanks

i put both the reds into one switch and blacks in the other .... loverly jubley

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back