Failed pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My c/h pump failed on Xmas day... fuse was dead, changed fuse, which went pop...

Put in larger fuse, on the basis that, if you replace a blown fuse with a nail, the resulting bang and smoke will pinpoint the problem... (kidding, honest).

Present pump is a Grundfos 15-50X50 - can I replace this with anything else?

System has a Parkray Consort 88 solid-fuel roomheater with back-boiler running 7 radiators. I am thinking of changing to gas or oil - any comments on doing this? (I won't attempt it myself, but it seems a complex area, solid fuel v gas v oil...) HELP!!!

Regards,

Hengist

Sponsored Links
assuming the fuse you changed is in an FCU, i would suggest you dissconect the pump, put cable in choc bloc change fuse and if it does not blow it is the pump, if it does blow, it is NOT the pump

another thing (learnt from this forum) look at the pump, find the flow direction arrow, and draw another one on a surface adjacent to the pump. that way if it is the pump, at least you will be able to put it back knowing its pumping the right way

It's been working ok for 14 years, so I reckon it must be the pump... had to bump-start it every year since it was installed! Not much good as far as I'm concerned if it needs bump-starting after a few monhs of inaction every summer... (open screw cover, flick a few times, refit cover having been soaked in the meantime...) but it worked ok after that!

I think natural gas is still cheapest but if you are referring to lpg then go for oil.

Don't get a combi.

Sponsored Links
Be VERY careful about changing to gas or oil now. This may prove to be a short benefit - seriously. You could ADD a gas or oil boiler to the system, or speak to Powergen about micro-CHP. Read this first. It will affect EVERYTHING.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back