Crack in wall plate elbow feeding bar mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone fixed a crack in a compression fitting (wall plate elbow 1/2'' x15mm) by using Epoxy Putty???

Came across bar mixer shower that was pouring water through downstairs flat.
After removing shower and shrouds, i thought '' Holy Mary , the leak must be further up the wall'' behind the brand new wall boards. Oooops :oops:

BUT...............

I isolated pipes , turned mains back on and heard a hissing then the drip drip drip of the leak. Turns out that the screwthread on the offset fittings has split in it. Approx 1/4''long.

Only thing is there is no access to cut it out, i,ve enlarged the hole just big enougth so the shroud will cover it back up, when sorted.!

Has anyone used EPOXY PUTTY?

I've used it, but not for this application before

Or is there anything else on the market? Brazing rod???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've also used epoxy putty, but on leaking vented cylinders. So not on any high pressure stuff. Have you thought about soldering the split fitting, if you can get access of course?

It would not last long with epoxy putty, may crack when you screw back in.

Replace the fitting.

You say "new wallboard"?, as in stud wall? Is there another room behind shower room?

Daniel

It would not last long with epoxy putty, may crack when you screw back in.

Replace the fitting.

You say "new wallboard"?, as in stud wall? Is there another room behind shower room?

Daniel

I agree with Danny, if it can be done.

Sponsored Links
The shower tray was leaking all around 3 sides.
So it was all took out and instead of tiling we put plastic interlocking wall boards in. After re plasterboarding the wall.

The wall elbow has a 1/2''f x 15Male straight in it, then it goes to the offset shower fitting.

I screwed the straight into cracked elbow with less ptfe than usual and then cleaned and soldered it.

First time i could still see a crack so did it again and tested it.
Held for couple of minutes then it started with a constant drip.

To answer question........No there is a communal hallway the other side of shower and its breeze block.

So im thinking solder it again then use epoxy putty over the top.

Has anyone used them thin copper/bronze brazing rods you can buy from B & Q?

Thanx

How big is the hole? Is it big enough to replace that elbow?

Unfortunately you have to replace the fitting. Once it cracked, it's scrap.

Can't you just remove the plastic wallboard carefully and replace fitting, refix wallboard and reseal joint?

Daniel.

Ive cuta 50m hole, so that the shroud fits over neatly.

Im thinking i could remove the fixing screws(which are rusted ) through the hole and see if there is any downward movement in pipe, as the pipes come from above.

If it does i may be able to get a ring spanner in OR un solder it, whichever it is.

But its gonna be difficult.

There must be something on the market to use??? Most things seem to only be a temp. fix

Bit the bullet.
Tried the Epoxy Putty on a compression fitting, and left it in warm van , while i got tools into flat and put sheets down etc.

I gave it the recommended time to set and GUESS WHAT??

IT DOESNT WORK LIKE IT SAYS IT SHOULD

It took hours to even attempt to set.........Anyway.................

I cut a hole in the wall behind the shroud of the mixer valve, just smaller than the shroud so i could still get good seal.
Then i got hold of fitting with grips and pulled down and prayed.
This gave me 20- 30mm of movement to be able to get a ring spanner in and remove 15mm nut, getting a slight turn every time.

Put new elbow in ,re-secured new fixing holes and that was that.

Only thing was that i was able to get the pipe to move down but it wouldnt go back up.
But i just managed to get the pipe centers due to the offset 3/4'' x1/2'' shower fittings, which i normally dont use but are standard on bar mixers.

Filled the hole with expanding foam then good clear silicone over that .

Couldnt wait to get out of there, no cups of tea just a plate of bananas!!??? WHAT????? Trademan??? CUP OF TEA???? DUHHH??? :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back