Thermal store and condensing boiler: maximising condensing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Gledhill Torrent ‘solar’ thermal store heated by a solar thermal collector and a conventional heat-only boiler. The boiler has become very unreliable recently, so I will have to replace it with a condensing boiler. I would like to ensure that I am using this as efficiently as possible, so am trying to understand the principles and how they might be applied. The radiators are oversized for the property as it was originally a very cold house so I had larger radiators installed, before drastically improving the insulation as part of a subsequent renovation project. It is a 4-bedroom house with 4 adults.

The heat from the boiler feeds the Torrent, with the output directed using an S-plan setup back to the boiler via the radiator circuit by the heating valve and directly back to the boiler by the hot water valve. In general, in the summer space heating is off and most water heating is provided by the solar input. Further water heating input from the boiler is timed to come on in the evening and early morning as a top-up when necessary, with the thermostat on the Torrent set to 60 degrees. In winter, when the space heating is on, the Torrent is heated sufficiently even if the hot water timer is off all the time, usually being heated to 70-75 degrees.

Once the condensing boiler is installed, I want to ensure that the return temperature to the boiler is low enough to maximise condensing. I realise that there are sophisticated and expensive systems available, but I believe that in my particular circumstances similar results can be achieved by making various adjustments, involving setting the boiler water temperature to 60 degrees and changing the timer settings. I would have the space heating timed to come on at 6 am and 4 pm as normal in winter, but with the water heating off (it comes on at the same time at the moment). This would still heat the Torrent to provide hot water, but all the water going through the Torrent would return to the boiler via the radiators, so the temperature should be below 55 degrees for most or all of the time. The water heating would be timed to come on as a booster for those days when the heat input to the Torrent was insufficient, just as it does in the summer to boost the solar, timed to come on at 7 am and 6 pm.

I would appreciate any comments on my proposed setup and welcome further suggestions.

Sponsored Links
You need a boiler which will give a different flow temp when heating just hot water.

Then a weather compensation control for the heating temperature.

I have always thought that rather than heating the whole thermal store with gas that it would be better to just run the boiler as needed to "top up" the hot water temp out of the store using a plate heat exchanger.

Never seen that done but it would be my choice to do it most efficiently!

Whilst its a nice thought to have an efficient system, its only about 12% difference between full condensing and not condensing!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back