no heating & freezing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiator in the lounge wasnt geting hot so i let the air out,but having never done it before i let out all the water instead,now the radiator wont fill up & the heating wont come on at all,it sounds like the pump is working,any ideas on how to get it running again ??? :(

Sponsored Links
Have u got a combi boiler. if so letting water or air out will lower the pressure & if the saftey cut out on ya boilers workin it should of shut down around .5 bar.

It is quite unlikely that you've let all the water out, because the system will be designed to replenish it.

Please tell us what kind/make/model of boiler you have.

If you have any cisterns in the loft, please inspect them and tell us if they're 'full' of water, and what the condition of the water is. Don't stir up the water in doing it though.

bab said:
Have u got a combi boiler. if so letting water or air out will lower the pressure & if the saftey cut out on ya boilers workin it should of shut down around .5 bar.
i dont know if its a combi boiler but its called a drayton,what di i need to do if the preasure has dropped ?

Sponsored Links
see sticky for refernce - filling loop

also see filling a sealed sytem

edited to add

assuming its a combi

Softus said:
It is quite unlikely that you've let all the water out, because the system will be designed to replenish it.

Please tell us what kind/make/model of boiler you have.

If you have any cisterns in the loft, please inspect them and tell us if they're 'full' of water, and what the condition of the water is. Don't stir up the water in doing it though.
i turned off the supply to the radiator when i drained it.its a back boiler called a drayton if thats any help,ive tried resetting the timer but that hasnt done anything

edited to correct quote

This sounds like it could be fun! Only been plumbing 24 years but not heard of a Drayton back boiler. When u say backboiler u mean it is behind the gas fire. The make of the boiler & not the control will be on the back of the pannel at the bottom of the gas fire that u remove to light the boiler.gis us a few more clues.

bab said:
This sounds like it could be fun! Only been plumbing 24 years but not heard of a Drayton back boiler. When u say backboiler u mean it is behind the gas fire. The make of the boiler & not the control will be on the back of the pannel at the bottom of the gas fire that u remove to light the boiler.gis us a few more clues.
The boiler is behind the fire & is called a 'baxi bermuda'.the actual tank & controls are in the airing cupboard,the pilot light is lit,when i turn the heating on the pump in the airing cupboard seems to make a 'wurring' noise.i see people say about drop in preassure,i cant see a preassure gauge anywhere.

99% sure you wont have a pressure gauge . The system should be filled up by a header tank probabley in the attic Did u drain the radiator how much water are we talking about. are there any pipes in the airing warm . I suggest u turn off the clock until we can resolve the shortage of water to avoid running the pump if dry.

bab said:
99% sure you wont have a pressure gauge . The system should be filled up by a header tank probabley in the attic Did u drain the radiator how much water are we talking about. are there any pipes in the airing warm . I suggest u turn off the clock until we can resolve the shortage of water to avoid running the pump if dry.[/
quotedo you want my number or can i call you.might be easier & im bloody freezing ?

I know I'm going to regret jumping on my high horse at this early stage, but WTF is going on here?

This forum is for people to post problems and get written help in resolving them, with a significant benefit being that other people see the solution. It isn't intended to be a forum for finding a tradesman (despite what Agile thinks), so pretty please would you proceed with the fault finding as per my previous post?

Softus said:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back