Microbore copper piping

FMC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this stuff any good?.I've got it in my new house and I'm thinking its the cause of the rubbish heating(along with the rubbish rads).I'm getting some building work done in the next few months and was wondering if its worth replacing it with 15mm copper piping.

Sponsored Links
Micro bore is great when used correctly. when the runs r not to long. if it is not feeding a large double pannel double convector rad (3m) with 6m of pipe feeding it. New rads r good because they hold less water. 10mm pipe is good because it holds less water. If your system has 300 ltrs in it u have to heat 300ltrs before u start to heat ur house. if u hav the minimum water in your system its gona cost less to run ,plus easy on the pump. biggest down side to thermal stores.

Most systems even with 15 mm tube only have 60-90 litres capacity. So with 12 kw of heating that will take about 15 minutes to warm up.

If the system is clean and properly chemically treated then a microbore system properly designed will work very well.

The problems arise because installers often do NOT design it properly and if the water is dirty the small bore pipes and fittings are more easily blocked.

Because many were installed during the 1970s they are now very old and a nightmare for a professional because the householder expects us to correct a faulty design and fully clean out a dirty system for less than £100.

Tony

The house was built in 1980,but i think its the original system thats in it.All thats been changed is the boiler,which is a 1 year old condensing boiler by british gas ,they also replaced the TRV with british gas ones.I just wish they'd replaced the rads.

Sponsored Links
What`s wrong with the rads :?: ...never expect too much from BG :LOL:

My objection to it around here is that they put the drain off on the manifold half way up the wall so you can't drain very low in upstairs flats with beam and block construction and cream carpets so we have to be on our metal dealing with the system.

Give me a victorian house piped in 22 and 15mm suspended floors, drain off in kitchen or better still through wall please?

Actually it's been all downhil since the 19th century in house building.

They don't do what they are designed to do ie radiate heat.They're roasting hot to touch ,but they just don't sent out the heat.Crappy single rads from 1980.They're getting replaced asap.

I am sorry to disillusion you FMC, but rads are not expected to radiate much heat !

They heat by convection !

If you want to get a few percent of radiated heat then you can paint them matt black ! Warn the wife in advance though, she may not like the new colour.

Tony

Theres a new rad upstairs in the bathroom that you can feel the heat from about 3ft away ,but if you stand right next to any other rad in the house you feel no heat at all.The bathroom rad is a double and all the other ones are old rubbish single rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back