Finishing clear pine doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Does anyone have any experience of finishing doors like this? I have a few to do and am not sure about what to do. I have read that as they're laminated engineered doors, it's not the same as doing solid wooden doors. I've never done staining/oiling/varnishing etc before just painting so I'm a novice.

I've read that using the wrong product can lift the veneer off the core and that because the veneer can be thin that some products don't take because the glue has bled through (leaving a patchy finish). Just a few concerns of mine so I'd like to know if anyone has experience of dealing with these products and what is the best way to go with them.

The manufacturer hasn't been a great help unfortunately (LPD doors and Premdor doors). The former recommends Osmo products but again it doesn't really address my above concerns.

Ideally I would want to tint them to a light orange/amber colour and have some sort of protective finish as well.

Anyone got any advice on what to do? Am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
There are concerns with these laminate style doors. Basically you want to avoid products that deeply penetrate the timber such as danish oil. A stain or varnish should be ok because the penetration is less particular varnish which pretty much sits on the surface. The sikkens ranges are always very good. Osmo are very good btw and if the manufacturer recommends them that would be your best bet.

Thanks for the reply dcdec.

As far as staining goes, is it pretty straightforward as in apply as recommended? I've heard you can get patchy finishes on staining pine and something called a pre-stain conditioner is recommended.

And is it important to match stain and varnish according to what they are, as in water based to water based and solvent to solvent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back