Removing 30mm from side of chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a traditional rectangular wall with two alcoves, one on each side of a chimney breast.
The breast is not located centrally to the room forming one alcove that is 1100mm wide and one that is 870mm wide.
The problem is that we basically need to fill the room with wardrobes (she has THAT much stuff) and all the wardrobes i have seen are either 888mm wide or 900mm wide.
Now the walls are plastered,and i know it will be messy, but could i just hack off the plaster to the side of the breast and then angle grind the brickwork back to enough to skim (or plasterboard over).
I'm not too worried about the finish cos a wardrobe will be in the alcove and mask it all.
Basically will involve removing about 35-40mm of plaster and brick (assuming that maybe 20-30mm of that wil be plaster and backing)
Would the chimney breast be 2skins of brick? Its first floor. I'll check above to make sure no beams or ties above bear on this section of breast.
Failing that. anyone know wher i can get double wardrobe that will fit in the alcove. looked everywhere. failing that i'll have to get a bespoke one.. and that will cost big money i bet.

Sponsored Links
Don't hack off any of the brickwork from the side of a chimney breast unless you want a headache - it supports the chimney above! If you can't find wardrobes to fit you have several alternatives:-

1. Build a pair of wardrobes which fit exactly (but then I would say that, I'm a chippie).

or

2. Get the nearest size oversize for the narrowest alcobve and cut down the top, bottom, back, shelf and rail to make it fit. If it's a sliding door type it will be ok, otherwise you may have a problem resizing the doors (many of them are vinyl wrapped and cannot be trimmed to size

I'm not suppposed to advertise, but a made to size carcass in MDF (ready to paint) really isn't all that expensive (but then I would say that, I'm a chippie who builds these for a living!)

Scrit

Scrit said:
Don't hack off any of the brickwork from the side of a chimney breast unless you want a headache - it supports the chimney above! If you can't find wardrobes to fit you have several alternatives:-

1. Build a pair of wardrobes which fit exactly (but then I would say that, I'm a chippie).

or

2. Get the nearest size oversize for the narrowest alcobve and cut down the top, bottom, back, shelf and rail to make it fit. If it's a sliding door type it will be ok, otherwise you may have a problem resizing the doors (many of them are vinyl wrapped and cannot be trimmed to size

I'm not suppposed to advertise, but a made to size carcass in MDF (ready to paint) really isn't all that expensive (but then I would say that, I'm a chippie who builds these for a living!)

Scrit

I agree with Scrit.

If you do what you sugest and hack off 40mm, then it starts to give way, you will be looking at a lot more cash than the cost of bespoke wardrobes.

I assume the size you require is 870mm wide. they are available readymade, this is one site. Here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back