Replacing Switches and Fans and stuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'd just like a bit of advice as i'm wanting to replace a ceiling fan in my bedroom with a bog standard single light fitting.

Is this easy to do or are there possible complications and is there anything i need to watch out for (apart from getting zapped!!!)? I'm also wanting to put the new light on a dimmer switch but most of the other posts are about dimmer switches so i'm sure i can figure something out.

Finally, i have 2x12V halogen spotlights and each has their own switch which i'd also like to replace with a dimmer. This may sound stupid but at the moment, i presume that the switch is on the AC side of things and not after the DC transformer - is this a correct assumption? Seems a bit silly if not...

Thanks

Kev

Sponsored Links
kevinwebster83 said:
I'd just like a bit of advice as i'm wanting to replace a ceiling fan in my bedroom with a bog standard single light fitting.
Should be pretty much streight forward, just remember to note where each wire goes and what it does before disconnecting.
Finally, i have 2x12V halogen spotlights and each has their own switch which i'd also like to replace with a dimmer. This may sound stupid but at the moment, i presume that the switch is on the AC side of things and not after the DC transformer - is this a correct assumption? Seems a bit silly if not...
I think ban-all-sheds pretty much sums it up here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33642

Managed to get a new pendant wired up in place of the ceiling fan (my gf's dad came to the rescue). When i removed the old fan, there was 4 sets of wires protruding from the ceiling - one for the switch, one live in and one out plus another live circuit!

I've read somewhere that this isn't legal to have another live circuit just looped through, am i right? The house that the electrical have been installed in is only 5 years old so i presume that if this isn't legal the builders have some explaining to do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back