how to fill 2 x holes down to brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have removed a couple of vents leaving 2 x 12" x 12" holes
Have filled then with bricks and am now looking to finish them with plaster work to blend in with existing walls/plaster
Depth is approx 18mm-ish
So to plaster them can anyone off some advice on what's required please...

Wet the brick work ?
Then PVA with a mixture of ?
Should I use a browning coat and then apply a skim coat or can I use just 1 coat of some other plaster type product ?
If so how long is the brown left before skimming and is that then PVA'd too ?

Many thanks in advance of any replies

Sponsored Links
So to plaster them can anyone off some advice on what's required please...

Wet the brick work ?
Then PVA with a mixture of ?
Should I use a browning coat and then apply a skim coat or can I use just 1 coat of some other plaster type product ?
If so how long is the brown left before skimming and is that then PVA'd too ?

Many thanks in advance of any replies

Hi Sean.
I'd check out the Plastering Wiki at the top of the forum.
PVA ratios are in there, as is a good post from Roughcaster in the FAQ's (with pictures) for covering a small area. It is over lath&plaster, but the basics are the same for what you need

Thanks for the reply
Just looked and yes really useful although it doesn't mention should the bond coat be left to dry completely and does it need to be pva'd before the top layer applied ?

Thanks for the reply
Just looked and yes really useful although it doesn't mention should the bond coat be left to dry completely and does it need to be pva'd before the top layer applied ?
let the bond coat go mostly dark then skim dont let it dry out, if you do let it dry out for some reason then pva it

Sponsored Links
Sorry to ask again....the first PVA on the brick work...is it just to seal the brick work and do I let it dry completely before applying the bond plaster ?

And then also the same question if I let the bond plaster layer dry completely, when I PVA it, do I let that dry completely too before skimming ?

Sorry to ask again....the first PVA on the brick work...is it just to seal the brick work and do I let it dry completely before applying the bond plaster ?

And then also the same question if I let the bond plaster layer dry completely, when I PVA it, do I let that dry completely too before skimming ?
yes its to seal it and to stop your plaster from drying out , put the 1st coat of pva on let it dry this has now sealed your bricks now put a second coat on "tacky coat" let it go tacky then put your bonding coat on

You need to apply plaster onto PVA when it is still tacky.

It can be used for both sealing and adhesion.

But to really reduce suction, give it a coat of PVA the day before, then just before plastering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back