Starling Nest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the past few years I have been able to hear a starling nest in my dormer roofline (see pics). They get in at the rear right hand side where there is an opening behind the wooden eave.
I don't mind them being there if they aren't damaging the eave/wall but am not sure if they will be or not. Can't see any obvious signs of damage.
Should I be looking to close off the gap with netting and if so how do I go about fixing it on?
Any advice much appreciated.

:)

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do Emma, don't block the birds in......they'll stink to high heaven if you do.
Once the chicks have fledged (keep an eye on their activity) get up there with a ball of chicken wire netting or similar and block the hole up.
Its amazing how much straw the birds manage to get up there, but it doesn't do any great harm.
Also check the dormer opposite side!
John :)

Thanks John, great advice as always. :LOL:
Is it a necessary job do you think or could I just leave it be?
Should the mesh be metal or would material netting do? (I have some material netting that I use on the garden to stop the birds eating the veg).
Any advice on how to fix it on?
Cheers.
Emma.

You need to stop the birds getting in there - the mess does tend to build up over the years!
I don't suppose there's any access to the dormer side from within the roof void? You can often see a bulge in the underfelt where the nest is.
Anyhow - I'd use a wire mesh from Homebase or somewhere - cut it and fold it into a roll or ball and stuff it in......as its galvanised it won't rust. Fabric netting is all very well but a starling has a beak designed on a guillotine :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
I don't think you can access it from the loft. I'll wait till October time once the birds have 'flown the nest' and put some wire mesh in (or sweet talk my poor Dad into it!).
Thanks for your help (again!)
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back