Pilot light keeps going out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help! I have just moved into my new house about a month ago, the boiler worked fine for the first couple of weeks but since then, the pilot keeps going out on a regular basis.

is this some sort of safety cut out? What is causing it? We have had a CORGI guy out to look at it several times, he\\\'s changed the thermo coupling, taken the whole boiler to bits and claened it, and still the pilot cuts out.

one thing - we went on holiday for 2 weeks and it was still working when we came back. so it must be something we are doing that causes it to go out.

it seems to go out about an hour after we use hot water, but this may be coincidence.

Does any of this make sense? please help!

(Boiler = Glowworm 60p)

Sponsored Links
Have you cut down any trees, or removed any fencing, or put up any fencing, or done anything else outside the house near the flue from the boiler?

It is probably scaled up and the over heat stat trips out the pilot with latent heat after hot water delivery.

Unfortunately few gas engineers seem to know how to treat scaled up boilers.

We usually charge about £180 in the London area.

With an older boiler it might be time to think about a replacement!

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
It is probably scaled up and the over heat stat trips out the pilot with latent heat after hot water delivery.

Unfortunately few gas engineers seem to know how to treat scaled up boilers.

We usually charge about £180 in the London area.

With an older boiler it might be time to think about a replacement!

Tony Glazier

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I dont fancy paying £180 !! Would our service agreement cover this?

Also, the boiler is 6 years old, surely we dont need a new one already?? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I don't know the boiler do you mean 60B?

If so that doesn't have an overheat stat, maybe the pilot flame is too small or not pointing at the TC or too strong, or a cheap universal (ueless) TC was fitted, get correct manufacturer's part fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back