identify wiring from ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would be very grateful with some guidance/assistance on identifying some wiring.

I am replacing a generic ceiling rose light with a mains voltage halogen light.

I have 2 lights in the room on a 2 gang dimmer.

The first I have fitted fine.

The wiring on the second however is something I am not familiar with.
(I have included a diagram to show the wiring.)
http://www.every.net/wire.gif

I just need to know where to connect the wires from the household supply in the diagram to the light fitting connections.

The light fitting contains neutral,earth,switched live and loop termination.

Many thanks,

Drew
[/img]

Sponsored Links
where does the 3 core go and whats the wiring at the other side?

Hi Andy,

Only being familiar with some basics I can only say that the the 3 core (cable 3 on the diagram) yellow wire and red wire of cable 2 are twisted together and connect (terminate) into a small (1"x1") black connector box.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any more info.

Many thanks,

Drew

what is the wiring at the other end of the 3core?

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like cable 1 is from the lighting circuit, cable 2 goes to the other light, and cable 3 goes to the switch.

From the left of you diagram, the connections will be, live, neutral, earth, switched live for this light, switched live for the other light.

You want to wire your light as follows:

http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/1136652543_wire.gif

Also sleeve the yellow and blue from the 3C+E as red

The two blacks are neutrals they connect to the neutral of the new light fitting (blue) the two reds should be put intop a connector block as they are permanent lives in from another light or fuse board and out to the switch. The two wires in the other black box are a joint to make the other light work,so just replace the block with another if you like, or leave it as it is. The blue is your switched live to the new light fitting, so should be marked with red tape and connected to the live of your new light fitting (brown) and all earths should be connected to your new fitting if metal or just connector blocked together if not needed for your light.

hope this answers your questions, and of course make sure you turn off the power before attempting any of this work

Nick

Andy,

I'm sorry, I don't understand exactly what you need when you say, 'the other side'.

Drew

he means the other end of the 3 core cable, from your diagram it looks like you have 2 switches controlling the lights one for each of the two lights. So the 3 core would go to your 2 gang light switch

Nick

drew1 said:
Andy,

I'm sorry, I don't understand exactly what you need when you say, 'the other side'.

Drew

He means the other end of the cable

Hi Adam,

Thanks very much for the diagram & advice. Very useful indeed.

And also SparkyDude for the explanation, all very informative.

Many many thanks,

I will try this tomorrow, bit dark now :(

Thanks again,
Drew

All wired and working well :)

Many thanks again.

Drew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back