mira 88 leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my mira 88 shower has developed a leak from the centre spindle. The model is at least 12 years old and was fitted before i purchased my house. As it is fully recessed, can the seals be renewed without taking the whole unit out of the wall ?.
Any help would be greatly recieved, thanks .

Sponsored Links
These ar a realy good valve. non around today like it. the kit comes with lots of O rings so do the lot Kits r'nt reasonable £14-20 but undoing the large nut is a b /ard to 1st undo if its never been touched since new. especialy on concealed valves u can support. turn off water & try too undo before buying kit.

Thanks for your help, the valve is recessed but i can't see a nut that i could unscrew, once i have taken the dials off and the spring clip all thats left is the big metal hexagonal dial to control the water flow with the centre spindle through the middle. which component comes apart next, and how ?. there is no nut on the centre spindle.
Once again thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
theres a couple of 88 models. mid 80s & mid 90s. revamped versions of the old mira 8. when u remove the temp knob circlip & on off knob there should a large brass hub 2 1/2" round with a hexaganol part in the centre. thats where u undo the front. did on a couple a weeks ago. had a new 20" wrench on it & still took 10mins to loosen. big risk of disturbing pipes if in a studding.

Thanks Bab,
I think we are talking about the same model now, so how does the centre hub unscrew because it turns anyway to turn the water on and off. If it does unscrew from that point is it a left or right handed thread and where is the best place to grip it to undo it.
Many thanks.

its not the centre spindle u undo its the brass face 2 1/2" round which has a approx 1 1/4" hexaganol nut type raised centre .It undo's normal anticlockwise.If u r not sure maybe buy the kit 1st it has an exploded diagram of the shower valve.

Thanks again Babs,
I will purchase a kit for it and look at the diagram as you suggested. as i cant see any nut to take off. Thanks for your help anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back