What OIL to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people,

I want to change the oil on my 406 deisel. The manual says use- ACEAB3/APICD/CF.

I have got 5 litres of duckhams supergrade API SG/CD, CCMC G4, PD2

I'm wondering if the API CD. Means it is compatible?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't say what engine it has but CD is fine for an XUD and an Hdi providing it doesn't have DPF which I don't think they do, mine doesn't anyway. I use Comma semi synthetic which is about £13 from Trago Mills.

Peter

The Duckhams oil you have sounds like it might have been hanging around for a wee while. Does the container have a date on it?

• Thanks
Reactions: hoq
Sponsored Links
It's actually hypergrade sorry. Blue bottle. 15/50. Can't see a date on it but it's probably about 10 years old. I take it that's pushing the shelf life ?

The recommended oil has a viscosity of 10/40 (or 5/30 if its a new engine).
Your Duckhams oil is therefore a bit on the thick side but its specification is fine. In warm weather, a 15W grade oil is fine, but its maybe a bit heavy for the depths of winter.
Personally I'd use the Duckhams in the oil can, but thats up to you!
John :)

• Thanks
Reactions: hoq
That oil you have has been obsolete for about ten years. Oil manufacturers recommend a shelf life of five years from the date on the container, there should be a date on it, somewhere. But even if you can't see it, your oil is old.
Better to buy new stuff of the correct spec.

Some forty years ago, when I was in the motor trade, we used to use Duckhams 20W/50 in the BMC transverse-engine cars where engine and gearbox shared the same oil. In those days Duckhams seemed "thicker" than other oils, possibly due to its colour.

Sponsored Links
Back